The marker is located west of Galva, on the north side of US 34/IL 17, immediately west of the country road leading north to Bishop Hill (1670th Street)
Illinois Department of Transportation and The Illinois State Historical Society
Two miles north of here, religious dissident immigrants from Sweden founded the communal society of Bishop Hill in 1846. The charismatic Erik Jansson lead the society spiritually and temporally until 1850 when he was murdered.
By 1854, a total of 1200 followers of all ages and backgrounds had arrived at Bishop Hill. Overcoming many hardships and trials, 12,000 acres of virgin land was improved for agricultural purposes. Various crops, including flax, broom corn and grain were grown. Orchards were also planted and furniture was manufactured.
In 1861, dissatisfaction and disillusionment resulted in a breakup of the society and the land was divided among the members.
Print marker information