George Rogers Clark Campsite (4th)
The marker is located in Ava in the City Park, which is on IL 4.
Bowman's Company, City of Ava, and the Illinois Foundation for Frontier Studies and the Illinois State Historical Society.
In the third year of the American War for Independence, Lt. Col. George Rogers Clark and his army of 170 Virginia volunteers camped five miles southeast of here. On July 2, 1778, Clark made the fourth of five camps on his march from Fort Massac to Kaskaskia. Two days later, Clark liberated Kaskaskia, and then moved east to Vincennes, thus securing the Illinois Territory from the British and their Indian allies.
Print marker information