The marker is located in Mt. Vernon, on the east side of the Jefferson County Courthouse Grounds, facing east at 14th and Main Streets.
Jefferson County Historical Society and The Illinois State Historical Society
This building was constructed for the Southern Division of the Illinois Supreme Court, one of three Divisions created by the Constitution of 1848. Court met in lodge halls in Mount Vernon prior to completion of the center section of this building about 1857. The 1870 Constitution established a system of Appellate Courts and Mount Vernon was named the seat of the Fourth District. The Supreme Court shared the building until 1897, after which all of its sessions were held in Springfield.
Print marker information