Mt. Vernon Car Mfg. Co
The marker is located in the southeast part of Mt. Vernon, on the west side of Shawnee Road between Short and Brief Streets. It is located in front of the large, abandoned central office building for the railroad car manufacturing company.
Dale's Classic Cars and the Illinois State Historical Society
When railroads were king, The Mt. Vernon Car Manufacturing Company brought prosperity and recognition to this community. With freight car building being the primary business, the Mt. Vernon Car Manufacturing Company's products were sold to institutions which carried its name all across the civilized world. Established on April 16, 1890, it was in operation for 64 years.
In 1926, The Mount Vernon Car Manufacturing Company erected this building as its central office. In addition to having the largest payroll for its era, its local tax revenue made a large contribution to the economic expansion of this community.
Print marker information