Adlai Ewing Stevenson II, 1900-1965
The marker is located 0.8 miles south of IL 60 and St. Mary's Road at 25200 North St. Mary's Road, Mettawa, Illinois.
Village of Mettawa and The Illinois State Historical Society
Adlai Ewing Stevenson - Governor of Illinois from 1948 to 1952, twice the Democratic Party Nominee for President, and United States Ambassador to the United Nations - built this residence in 1938. Known as 'The Farm,' the house, outbuildings, and surrounding meadows and woods comprise seventy acres. Throughout his career of public service, Stevenson often returned to The Farm for rest and inspiration. The property is now owned by the Lake County Forest Preserve District.
Print marker information