Image Courtesy of Brian Combs, Alton Museum of History & Art
This marker is located in the Alton Museum of History & Art at 2809 College Avenue, Alton.
The Illinois State Historical Society
One quarter-mile to the west stood Fort Russell, a wooden stockade which served as a base of supplies and operations for the Illinois militia during the War of 1812. From here, for months at a time, Governor Ninian Edwards administered the affairs of Illinois Territory.
Print marker information