McHenry County's First Courthouse
The marker is located in the town of McHenry at 1401 North Riverside Drive at its intersection with Pearl Street which is one block north of IL120. The marker is on the northwest corner and one block west of the Fox River.
The City of McHenry Landmark Commission, the McHenry County Historical Society, and The Illinois State Historical Society
McHenry County's first commissioners met in this building on August 5th, 1840. The original structure was built on the court street side of the public square, now Veterans Park, as McHenry County's first courthouse.
McHenry County split from Cook County in 1836, comprising Lake and McHenry counties. The village of McHenry was the centrally-located county seat. Lake and McHenry counties divided in 1839. In 1843, the county seat was relocated to Centerville, now Woodstock.
In 1844, the government auctioned the courthouse to Horace Long, who moved it to this location on Riverside Drive, originally Water Street, for use as a tavern and hotel.
Print marker information