Benjaminville Friends Meeting House
Image Courtesy of Bill Kemp
0.5 mile south of IL 9 on N 2400 East Rd, 8 miles east of Bloomington
Illinois History Club of Lexington High School and The Illinois State Historical Society
Benjaminville was founded in the 1850's by Quaker farmers looking for rich prairie soil on which to grow their wheat. The Friends Meeting House, built in 1874, has changed little since then. The adjacent burial ground is divided into two sections: one for Quakers and a second for non-Quakers. When the expected Lake Erie Railroad went elsewhere, the town eventually died. The meeting house and burial ground are all that remain of Benjaminville. The site was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
Print marker information