Plum River Falls
The marker is located at the extreme southeast corner of Old Mill Park, just east of Savanna on US 52/IL 64.
Savanna Lions Club, Carroll County Historical Society, and The Illinois State Historical Society
Steamboats once navigated to this point, where Plum River Falls powered the saw, powder, grist, and flour mills at various times between 1836 and 1885. Near here the Rock Island Military and Prophetstown Trails to Galena were intersected as early as the 1830s by roads to Freeport, Rockford, Polo, and Milledgeville. On three occasions during the Black Hawk War, companies of mounted volunteers from Galena scoured this area for hostile Indians.
Print marker information