Illinois Soldiers' and Sailors' Children School
The marker is located in the northeast section of Normal, on the north side of the 600 block of Lincoln Street, halfway between Douglas and Coles Street.
ISSCS Historical Preservation Society, The Town of Normal Historical Preservation Commission, and The Illinois State Historical Society
The Illinois Soldiers and Sailors' Children's School (ISSCS) was established in 1865 as the Illinois Soldier's Orphans' Home. Dedicated in 1869, it provided a home for children of the Civil War veterans who had been killed or wounded. In 1899, the state allowed the school to admit indigent children of any veterans. Between 1907 and 1925, indigent children of non-veterans were admitted. In 1931, the name was changed to ISSCS. The facility closed in 1979.In these grounds for 114 years, scores of caregivers and educators provided thousands of children with a homelike environment.
Print marker information