The marker is located in Mount Carroll on the Shimer College campus near the entrance of the International Preservation Studies Center at 203 East Seminary Street at the intersection of Seminary Street and Clay Street.
Mount Carroll Community Club, Carroll County Historical Society, and the Illinois State Historical Society
Mount Carroll Seminary was founded as a coeducational institution in 1853 by Frances Ann Wood (later Mrs. Shimer). After the Civil War, enrollment was limited to women. Rechartered in 1896 as the Frances Shimer Academy of the University of Chicago, the school pioneered a junior college program. It became coeducation again in 1950 and adopted a four-year program in liberal education in 1958. In that year the Chicago affiliation was dissolved and the present name became official.
Print marker information