Farmers State Bank and Trust Company, The
The marker is located in Jacksonville and is mounted on the south side of the bank building on State Street, immediately west of the town square.
Morgan County Historical Society and The Illinois State Historical Society
The site of the Farmers State Bank and Trust Company Building, formerly known as the Ayers National Bank Building, has been associated with banking longer than any other site in the State of Illinois and possibly the entire Old Northwest.
By 1832, David Ball Ayers, with the help of his Philadelphia connections, was extending credit from this site to the residents of Morgan County. This building, which opened in 1913, housed the Ayers National Bank until the bank's failure in 1932. The building was later purchased by the Farmers State Bank and Trust Company.
Print marker information