US 67, north of Jacksonville. US 36-54, east of Jacksonville. US 36-54 , West of Jacksonville
Division of Highways and The Illinois State Historical Society
Jacksonville, county seat of Morgan County, was founded in 1825 and named for Andrew Jackson. It was a contender for the state capitol in 1837.
Jacksonville was an early education center. Seven men known as the 'Yale Band' were instrumental in founding Illinois College, one of the earliest colleges chartered in Illinois, in 1829. It graduated the first college class in Illinois, in 1829. Jonathan Baldwin Turner, outstanding faculty member and leader in agricultural education, settled here in 1833. For many years he led the fight for land grant colleges resulting in the Morrill Act (1862). The Jacksonville Female Academy was the first women's school incorporated by the Illinois legislature (1835). In 1846 the Illinois Methodist Conference established the Illinois Conference Female Academy which became MacMurray College (1930). The Illinois Braille and Sight Saving School are also here. Dr. Green Varadiman Black, internationally recognized pioneer in modern dentistry, opened an office here in 1863 and practiced until 1897.
Jacksonville was the home of three Illinois governors - Joseph Duncan (1834-1838), Richard Yates (1861-1865), and Richard Yates, Jr. (1901-1905). Stephen A. Douglas and William Jennings Bryant began their law practices here in 1834 and 1883 respectively. Douglas was Morgan County prosecuting attorney; Illinois legislator, secretary of state, and supreme court judge; U.S. Representative and Senator: and presidential candidate against Abraham Lincoln in 1860. Bryant, an Illinois College graduate, was a U.S. Representative, U.S. Secretary of State, and three times presidential candidate.
Print marker information