The marker is located in the extreme southwest outskirts of Polo about 0.5 miles west of IL Route 52. It is on the southeast corner of Galena Trail Road and Millidgeville Road (also called Oregon Trail Road).
Polo Historical Society and The Illinois State Historical Soceity
The Indians called this area Nanusha (buffalo). The first settlers arrived here in 1829 and six years later a village, St. Marion, was laid out. About 1840 the name was changed to Buffalo Grove and the village prospered until 1855 when the railroad steamed through Polo. Naturalist John Burroughs taught here in 1856-1857.
Print marker information