Search
Sunday, November 19, 2017

MarkerDetails

Marker Details

Historical Marker:

Lincoln in Polo


Picture:
Location:
The marker is located in Polo, on the grounds of the Applington House, which is the Polo Historical Society headquarters. It is one block east of the main highway, US Route 52/IL 26, at 123 North Franklin, which is at the corner of Franklin and Locust.
Latitude:
41.9872
Longitude:
-89.5776
Dedication Date:
01/01/1973
Dedication By:
Ogle County Historical Society and The Illinois State Historical Society

Marker Description:
Abraham Lincoln was a guest in this house, August 15-17, 1856. His host was Zenas Aplington, founder of Polo. On Saturday, August 16, John D. Campbell and James W. Carpenter, who were law partners in Polo, joined Lincoln and Aplington in a drive by carriage to Oregon, Ogle County Seat. There Lincoln and "Long John" Wentworth, six-term Congressman and later Mayor of Chicago, were among the several speakers at a political rally for John C. Fremont, first Republican Presidential candidate.
Map:

Print marker information

Terms Of UsePrivacy StatementCopyright 2017 by Illinois State Historical Society
Back To Top