The marker is located in Peoria Heights, in the 4900 block of North Grandview Drive, three blocks east of North Prospect. It is at the beginning of Pimiteoui Nature Center Trail, overlooking the Illinois River.
The Illinois State Historical Society
Meaning "Fat Lake," Illinois Indian name for Peoria Lake. Here passed Jolliet and Marquette in 1673. Established near the lake were Ft. Crevecoeur, 1680; Ft. St. Louis, 1691-1692; Old Peoria's Fort and Village, 1730; Peorias, 1778; Ft. Clark, 1813; French Trading House "Opa Post," before 1818. Americans settled on the site of the City of Peoria in 1819.
Print marker information