Cass County Courthouse
The marker is located in Virginia in the southwest part of town at 431 West Beardstown Street where it intersects with North Hall St. It is on the north side of the street.
The Virginia City Council, Cass County Historical Society, and the Illinois State Historical Society
This is the site of the first building erected as a seat of government of Cass County, Illinois, on land provided by Dr. H. H. Hall, the founder of Virginia.
Circuit Court was held here for the first time in May 1839, and the last session, October 8, 1844.
Abraham Lincoln attended a meeting of the Cass County Clay Club held here February 22, 1844, when Henry Clay was a presidential candidate.
Following the removal of the county seat to Beardstown in 1845, the building was used for a school until 1975.
Faith Baptist Church purchased the property May 31, 1981.
Print marker information