United States Military Hospital
The marker is located in Mound City, on the north side of IL Route 37 (Main Street) near Central Streets.
The Illinois State Historical Society
The southern portion of the brick building at the Ohio levee, 150 yards east of here, was part of a large warehouse which was converted into a Military Hospital in 1861 and staffed during the Civil War by the Sisters of the Holy Cross. Following the Battle of Shiloh 2200 Union and Confederate wounded were patients here.
Print marker information