George Rogers Clark Campsite (5th)
The marker is located at the rest area adjacent to the covered bridge over Mary's River, which is four miles northeast of Chester, along IL Route 150.
Bowman's Company and the Illinois State Historical Society.
In the third year of the American Revolutionary War, Lt. Col. George Rogers Clark and his army of 170 Virginians set out from Fort Massac (Metropolis) on their way to liberate the town of Kaskaskia from British control. On July 3, 1778, Clark's army crossed the old state road near Welge and established its fifth and final camp on the west side of St. Mary's River.
On July 4, Clark's army marched to a staging point at Diamond Cross and later that evening attacked and secured Kaskaskia.
Print marker information