Black Hawk War Campsite
The marker is located just south of Hillsdale on Hurd Road. It is mounted on the south railing of the Rock River Bridge
J. M. Hanson, Louis D. Hauberg and The Illinois State Historical Society
In 1832 when Black Hawk and his Sauk and Fox followers returned to Illinois, 1500 mounted volunteers advanced along the bank of the Rock River to capture them. 505 men under Colonel Zachary Taylor followed in supply boats and late at night on May 12, 1832 camped in this area.
Print marker information