Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices
The marker is mounted on the Lincoln - Herndon Law Offices building on the west side of Sixth Street between Monroe and Adams, facing east, in Springfield.
The Illinois State Historical Society and the Illinois Department of Transportation
This portion of the Tinsley Building, a merchant block constructed in 1840-1841, is the only surviving structure in which Abraham Lincoln maintained a law office. Intended originally for commercial use, much of the building was rented for other purposes. A portion of the first floor was occupied by Springfield's post office, while attorneys rented third-floor offices. Among them was Lincoln, who had offices here with partners Stephen T. Logan (1843-1844) and William H. Herndon (1844-ca. 1850). Here Lincoln also argued cases before the federal courts that met from 1841 to 1855 in a second-floor courtroom.
Print marker information