Lindbergh Field (missing)
North of Il 97-125, northwest of Springfield
Springfield Airport Authority and The Illinois State Historical Society
Springfield's first airport, developed by the Chamber of Commerce, was located on this 35-acre tract of land. In April, 1926, Charles A. Lindbergh, chief pilot for Robertson Aircraft, St. Louis, assisted in selecting the field. He flew mail to Springfield on the St. Louis-Chicago route until he began preparing for his solo trans-Atlantic flight of May 20, 1927. On August 15 of that year the field was named in his honor. It was used until 1929.
Print marker information