The marker is located in Lebanon, on the northeast corner of the intersection of US 50 and IL 4.
Lebanon Historical Society and The Illinois State Historical Society
Founded in 1828, this is one of the first colleges established in Illinois and is the oldest in the United States with continuous relationship to the Methodist Church. The school was first named Lebanon Seminary. At the urging of Rev. Peter Cartwright, the famous circuit-rider, the name was changed in 1830 to honor Bishop William McKendree. His donation of 480 acres helped create this school. Edward Ames was the first principal of the seminary. Peter Akers succeeded him as the first President. "Old Main" (1850) and the Chapel (1856) on campus are well-known landmarks in Illinois.
Print marker information