The marker is located adjacent to a park, on the south edge of West Union on Walnut Street (1900 Street).
The West Union 4-H Clubs and The Illinois State Historical Society
Fort Handy, built in 1816, was located 1200 feet southeast of this park on a knoll. The fort, the only structure of its kind in Clark County, was built by the family of Thomas Handy and contained three cabins and a well surrounded by a bulletproof palisade.
Print marker information