Illinois Agricultural College
The marker is located in the town of Irvington, in the City Park, two blocks north of Illinois 177, facing Parkview Street.
Washington County Historical Society and The Illinois State Historical Society
Illinois agricultural College at Irvington was the first college in the state for instruction in scientific and practical agricultural methods. It was chartered by the Illinois General Assembly in 1861 and opened in 1866. The main buildings were southwest of here on 560 acres of farm land. Almost from its beginning, the school encountered financial difficulties. In 1887 title to the college and land was vested in the State of Illinois. The property was sold and the proceeds given to Southern Illinois Normal University. Irvington College and the Hudelson Baptist Orphanage, 1907-1936, later occupied the campus.
Print marker information