Big Prairie Church - Established 1812
The marker is located one mile south of Epworth, which is just east of Carmi, in front of the Big Prairie Methodist Church.
White County Historical Society and The Illinois State Historical Society
This church was the cradle of Methodism in White County. Early pioneers risked Indian raids to worship in the cabins of Robert Land and John Hanna. In 1812 presiding elder Peter Cartwright sent circuit rider John Smith to this settlement. This church was organized in Hanna's house.
Print marker information