Old Stone Arch Bridge
The marker is located west of Marshall on Archer Avenue (Old US 40), outside the city limits at Oak Crest Subdivision, adjacent to the bridge.
Clark County Historical Society and The Illinois State Historical Society
This bridge was completed by army engineers sometime between 1834 and 1837 as a part of the Old National Road. The road, between Cumberland, Maryland and Vandalia, Illinois was authorized by the Enabling Act of 1803 and was the nation's first federally financed highway. The bridge is a prime example of the stone-building art and early American engineering. Stones were precisely cut and fitted together without bond or mortar. Many stone arch bridges were built along the Cumberland Road, but this was the only one still in use at the time of the marker dedication.
Print marker information