The marker is located in Fulton, at the corner of Tenth Avenue and Fourth Street, on the south side of the Post Office.
Fulton Junior Woman's Club and The Illinois State Historical Society
Dement House, an imposing, lavishly furnished stone hotel, was built on this lot in 1855. It was sold to satisfy judgments in 1858. In 1861 it was used to house the military academy, which was incorporated as a veteran's college in 1867. This institution was reorganized as a coeducational college in 1873 and continued as a military academy, 1903 to 1912. From 1918 to 1928 the building was a tire factory. It was razed in 1934.
Print marker information