Margaretta Post Office
The marker is located 4.7 miles east of Westfield on the Lincoln Heritage Trail (County Road 2150 N, also called Clarksville Road)
Clark County Historical Society and The Illinois State Historical Society
On this site stood Margaretta Post Office, which served many northwestern communities of Clark County from 1840 to 1861. It was named for Margaret, wife of the Postmaster, William B. Marrs. Mail was carried to the post office first in saddlebags by horseback and later in portmanteaus by stagecoach. Marrs was a Representative in the State Legislature, 1836-1837. He was also a Justice of the Peace, 1835-1837, and a Supervisor of Roads in 1842.
Print marker information