The marker is located 4.7 miles north of US Rt. 36 on the southeast corner of the intersection of Il. RT. 49 (200E) and Palmero Road (2675N). It is on the Douglas County-Edgar County Line
Illinois Department of Transportation and The Illinois State Historical Society
Following the French and Indian War (1754-1763), France ceded all claims to their North American Territory, called New France, to England in the Treaty of Paris (February, 1763). English troops quickly occupied many former French forts and conditions began to change for the Indians. The English were interested in settling, not trading.
A popular Ottawa Indian Chief, Pontiac, was able to unite many of the Northwest Territory Indian tribes in an uprising that came to be known as Pontiac's Conspiracy. From early 1763 into 1765, the Indians attacked forts and outlying settlements throughout the Great Lakes area. Only Fort Pitt and Fort Detroit remained in English control. After an unusual but unsuccessful 6 month seige of Fort Detroit, many Indians became discouraged and returned home to prepare for the coming winter. Pontiac then tried unsuccessfully to obtain aid from Commandant Neyon de Villiers at Fort de Chartres.
According to local tradition, Pontiac then reluctantly met with George Croghan, Sir William Johnson's representative, at the site of Palermo, three miles east of here in July, 1765 to make preliminary arrangements for peace. Following the meeting at Palermo, the two men traveled to Fort Quiatenon (LaFayette, Indiana) and on to Fort Detroit to smoke a peace pipe and sign a treaty ending the uprising.
Print marker information