House of Divine Worship, Erected in 1823
Image Courtesy of Elaine Shemoney Evans
The marker is located in Vandalia at the corner of Kennedy Boulevard and Main Street.
The Illinois State Historical Society
The Illinois General Assembly donated five lots in Vandalia to promote the construction of a church for the use of all denominations. The forty-five by sixty feet one-story frame structure erected in the summer of 1823 was used primarily by the Presbyterians and Methodists and also for public meetings and as a schoolhouse.
Print marker information