Second State Capitol
The marker is located in the sidewalk on the west side of 4th Street near Gallatin Street, across from the Vandalia State House.
The Illinois State Historical Society
The second state capitol owned by the State was a two-story brick building erected here in 1824, using the walls of the first State Bank which burned January 28, 1823. Abraham Lincoln was a member of the House in the 1834-1835 and 1835-1836 sessions . Vandalia paid one-fifth of the total cost of $15,000. Torn down in 1836, the salvage was used in the third capitol building.
Print marker information