The marker is located in Vandalia at Third Street and Gallatin Street.
No coordinates identified
The 'very large tavern House, called the Vandalia Inn' opened here on November 15, 1834 with thirteen lodging rooms and a large dining room. Some years later it was known as Matthew Thompson's Tavern and was a depot for the Overland Stage. It was destroyed by fire in June 1853.
Print marker information