Illinois and Michigan Canal, The (missing)
The marker was located in Morris on the west side of IL Route 47, immediately north of canal. It was in a grass plat south of Standard Oil gasoline station, about 10 feet west of slab and 15 feet north of canal bank. It is currently missing.
The Illinois State Historical Society
This historic artery of travel was commenced in 1836 and finished in 1848. By carrying pioneers and their produce between Lake Michigan and the Illinois Valley, it figured largely in the development of northern Illinois. Superseded by the Deep Waterway after fifty years of use, it is now devoted to recreational purposes.
Print marker information