Search
Wednesday, November 22, 2017

MarkerDetails

Marker Details

Historical Marker:

Salem, Illinois


Picture:
Location:
The marker is located in Salem, north of the downtown area on Broadway (IL 37), just north of its intersection with Boone Street. It is on the west side of Broadway, in the William Bryan Jennings City Park, and directly across the street from the William
Latitude:
38.6355
Longitude:
-88.9454
Dedication Date:
12/28/1965
Dedication By:
Illinois Department of Transportation and The Illinois State Historical Society

Marker Description:
Salem is locally known as the "Gateway to Little Egypt." Egypt refers to southern Illinois. In the early days of statehood, crop failures threatened the existence of the isolated settlements in northern and central Illinois, and trips were made into the more populated southern section of the state to obtain grain.

Salem is located at the crossroad of several prominent old trails, and a settlement was laid out in 1823. Later Mark Tully and Rufus Ricker deeded the land comprising Salem to Marion County for a county seat. The community grew slowly and in 1855 was legally organized as a town. In 1865 it became a city.

William Jennings Bryan, "the Great Commoner," was born in Salem on March 19, 1860, and lived here until 1883. Lawyer, newspaperman, congressman, Secretary of State, political advisor, and three times a candidate for the Presidency, Bryan was one of the greatest orators of his day. He served as prosecutor in the famous John Scopes trial shortly before his death in July, 1925. His birthplace at 408 S. Broadway is open to the public.

Salem has an agricultural and industrial history. It was a principal marketplace for red top hayseed, which was in great demand in Europe during World War I. Oil was discovered near here in 1938, and production of 259,000 barrels daily was reached in March, 1940. In 1942 Salem became the eastern terminus of a 550-mile petroleum pipeline from Texas.
Map:

Print marker information

Terms Of UsePrivacy StatementCopyright 2017 by Illinois State Historical Society
Back To Top