Liberty's Pioneer Mill
The marker is located at the intersection of Mill and Church Streets, two blocks north of CR 2550N/Main Street in the small hamlet of Burnt Prairie.
White County Historical Society and The Illinois State Historical Society
This mill, started in 1833 by Andrew Smith, was continued by his descendants, the Morrison family, until 1964. The flint mill stones, imported from France, had been grinding corn since 1859. The town, named Liberty by Scotch pioneers who settled here around 1816, was later renamed Burnt Prairie.
Print marker information