Atlanta Public Library-Museum
In front of Atlanta Public Library, 100 Race Street, Atlanta, Illinois.
Friends of Historic Atlanta, Atlanta Rotary and Lions Clubs and the Logan County Tourism Committee
The Atlanta Public Library was founded in 1873 by public spirited citizens who realized the importance of books. In 1973, the museum was added for the purpose of preserving Atlanta's heritage. In 1979, this octagonal structure was listed on the National Register of Historical Places. Atlanta, founded in 1853 as Xenia, had Logan County's first bank in 1854. Abraham Lincoln traveled throughout this area and was well known by several of Atlanta's pioneer families. Lincoln attended the July 4, 1859 picnic at Turner's Grove on the southeast edge of Atlanta and was presented a gold-handled cane by Sylvester Strong. In 1860, the initial "wide-awake" group supportive of Lincoln's presidential bid was organized in Atlanta. Lincoln's friends fired thirty-three cannon rounds when they heard the news of his nomination.
Print marker information