Illinois and the Michigan Canal Office
801 S. State, Lockport
Will County Historical Society and The Illinois State Historical Society
In 1837 the town of Lockport was laid out by the Illinois and Michigan Canal Commissioners and a residence office was built. The first floor of the structure was completed in 1837, and became headquarters for construction and administration of the waterway. The canal, which extended ninety-six miles from the south branch of the Chicago River near Lake Michigan to the Illinois River at Peru, was in operation from 1848 to 1914. This building, now owned by the Will County Historical Society, houses the Illinois and Michigan Canal Museum.
Print marker information