Bloom High School
The marker is located in Chicago Heights at 101 West 10th Street.
Bloom High School Historic Place Committee and The Illinois State Historical Society
Bloom High School was built in 1931-34 to serve all of the students in Bloom Township High School District 206. The main structure of the art deco building was designed by the architectural firm of Royer, Danely and Smith of Urbana, Illinois. Major additions were completed in 1956 and 1976. The building was accepted into the National Register of Historic Places in 1982, thereby becoming the first public high school in Illinois to be so recognized. Noteworthy enhancements include tow Bedford limestone sculptures at the main entrance, designed by Felix Schlag and by Curtis Drewes, and the authentic frescoes inside the entrance, created by Edgar Britton in 1935.
Print marker information