John H. Humphrey Home
The marker is located in Orland Park, one-fourth mile west of US 45. It is on the grounds of the Humphrey Home, which houses the Orland Historical Society, at the intersection of Beacon Avenue and West 144th Place (9830 West 144th Place).
Orland Historical Society and the Illinois State Historical Society
This house was the home of Illinois State Senator John H. Humphrey (1838-1914). Born in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, England, Humphrey immigrated to America with his parents in 1848 and settled in Orland Township, Cook County, Illinois. Humphrey became active in local politics and served as Orland Township Supervisor, Village Treasurer, and later as Orland Park's first president (Mayor). Elected to the Illinois House of Representatives in 1880 and in 1884, he advanced to the Illinois Senate in 1886, serving until 1910. This house, second oldest in Orland Park, was built in 1881. Donated to the Orland Historical Society in 1987, it was placed on the National Register in 2005.Sponsored by the Orland Historical Society and the Illinois State Historical Society
Print marker information