Fort La Motte
The marker is located on the southeast side of Palestine, on the southeast corner of Leaverton and LaMotte Streets, one block north of the cemetery.
Citizens of Palestine and The Illinois State Historical Society
About 1812, the settlers in this area built Fort LaMotte for protection from hostile Indians. The pioneers farmed the adjoining land but stayed within easy reach of the protective walls. After the War of 1812 the Indian threat diminished and the inhabitants of the fort became the nucleus of Palestine.
Print marker information