First State Capitol, 1820-1823
The marker is located in Vandalia at the northwest corner of Fifth and Johnson Streets.
The Illinois State Historical Society
The first capitol building owned by the State was erected on this site. It was a thirty by forty feet two-story frame structure. The Second and Third Illinois General Assemblies met here, the House on the first floor and the Senate on the second. This building was destroyed by fire on December 9, 1823.
Print marker information