The marker is located in the southeast section of Old Shawneetown. It is in front of the Marshall House on Main Street with the levee on one side and the approach to the Ohio River Bridge on the other side.
Gallatin Historical Society and The Illinois State Historical Society
This was the original site of the home of John Marshall, one of the founders and president of the Bank of Illinois, the first bank chartered by the Illinois Legislature. The charter was issued in 1816. The bank opened at Shawneetown in 1817, suspended operations in the mid-1820's and reopened from 1834 to 1842. Marshall was active in business and politics. In 1818 he was elected a legislature from Gallatin County to the first Illinois General Assembly. He died in 1858.
Print marker information