November - December 2018
Volume 21, Number 6
100 years ago the bells tolled across the nation announcing the end of World War I. But if history has told us anything, the wounds from that cataclysm persist to the present day and the reverberations echo on and on. It is fitting that we commemorate the anniversary of the end of “The War to End All Wars” by revisiting what Illinoisans who survived it remembered. Great appreciation is offered to guest editor Bill Kemp, who put the bones and flesh on this issue of Illinois Heritage, and to the guest authors who gave it life.
In this issue we also congratulate the 2018 Centennial Award recipients, businesses and not-for-profit organizations that have served Illinoisans for 100 or more years. At a time when we hear so much about companies leaving the state, it is a delight to recognize those corporations whose roots remain deep in the Prairie soil.
Thanks to all of you who have taken time to renew your 2019 membership in the Illinois State Historical Society. Our organization thrives because of your commitment to our mission of “fostering awareness, understanding, research, preservation, and recognition of history in Illinois.”
Wishing you the very best of holiday seasons, and a happy and brilliant New Year.
|Table of Contents|
- To our readers
- President's message
- ISHS News (Sample Article)
- The honor roll
- Forgotten Voices of Illinois
- Business as remarkable! 2018 Centennial Awards
- Indian origins: Illinois towns named for Native Americans
- Bicentennial timeline (Sample Article)
100 years after: Remembering the War to End All Wars, a special issue of Illinois Heritage
- Uncle Hal and the War to End All Wars
- Fifty-Nine Days on the Western Front
- Volunteering on the home front
- Answering the call
- Not all wore helmets (Sample Article)
- What's your family's WWI story?
- DeWitt County's "Great War" stories
On the cover:
"For Every Fighter a Woman Worker," WWI poster for the YWCA created by Adolph Treidler, from the Ange. V. Milner Collection at Illinois State University.
|Sample Article #1|