Search
Monday, April 24, 2017

Illinois Heritage

cover photos of Illinois Heritage magazine

Illinois Heritage Magazine

Illinois Heritage, the popular history magazine of the Illinois State Historical Society, was established in 1997 to encourage professional and amateur historians, museum professionals, teachers, genealogists, journalists, and other researchers to explore and write about Prairie State history for a broad audience.

Illinois Heritage is published six times per year and is available as a benefit of membership in the Illinois State Historical Society. Individual editions can also be purchased by contacting our office directly. Visit our Membership section for membership options and information.

Visit our Illinois Heritage Magazine section to see issue summaries and sample articles from recent releases.

July-August 2015

July-August 2015
/ Categories: Illinois Heritage

July-August 2015

An end to Summer (Volume 18 / Number 4)

On the Cover: "Prairie coneflowers in bloom", taken behind the historical Strawbridge-Sherpherd House on the campus of the University of Illinois Springfield. The house, headquarters of the Illinois State Historical Society, was listen on the National Register of Historical Places in June. Photo by William Fury.

To our readers:

The summer of 2015 is almost history, and the corn crop that was six-feet high by the 4th of July is already thinking about winter markets in Asia. We at the ISHS are thinking about the future too, and we invite you to talk with us about our Third Century Fund, a special campaign to prepare the Society for the challenges of telling our state's history to future generations. To make a contribution to this fund, please call Tara Winter at 217-525-2781. Your support is crucial to the long-term success of the Society.
Table of Contents

Departments

  • To our readers
  • President's message
  • Letters
  • ISHS news
  • Obituaries
  • Book review "The Little Giant, Part 1"
  • The honor roll

Features

  • The Original Springs Hotel of Okawville
  • Zorro makes his mark in Chillicothe
  • the two Macs: Building a college in turbulent times
  • John Wesley College: A brief experiment in higher education
  • Illinois Women Artists Series, Part 21, Irene Siegel
  • Faith and practice: Springfield's Jewish community established first 'synagogue in 1858
  • McKendree University: The oldest collegiate institution in the "west"
Issue Price$5.00
Sample Article #1
By: Cindy Reinhardy

Nestled along the Okaw River in southern Illinois is the small farming community of Okawville, population 1,434. What sets it apart from other villages of similar size is that it has played host to tens of thousands of visitors in the last century and a half. The visitors, many hoping for cures from rheumatism, arthritis or other ailments, came to bathe in Okawville's mineral waters.

Although the curative powers of the mineral baths have not been scientifically proven, there are those who still come to Okawville today on a regular basis to "take the cure." That cure comes primarily from the restorative powers of quiet rest, a relaxing soak in hot bubbling water an an excellent massage. But regardless of the catalyst for the cure, just like visitors more than a century ago, today's clients leave feeling better than when they arrived.
Sample Article #2
By: Allen W. Croessmann

They were an unlikely pair. One was a Missouri farm boy, a selfmade man, who sold metal strapping for boxes, turned that in a successful Chicago manufacturing business and spent the last quarter of his life engaged in philanthropy and world travel. The other, 21 years younger, grew up just outside New York City into a cultured, well-established family. After a brief stint in the insurance business, he became a successful minister and then turned to academia. For 18 years, from 1925 when Clarence P. McClelland, the New Yorker, was named president of Illinois Woman's College until 1943 when James E. MacMurray, the Chicago industrialist and the college's board president and chief benefactor, died, these two men of Scottish ancestry forged a remarkable partnership that ushered in a period of unprecedented expansion at the institution, renamed MacMurrary College for Women in 1930.

Their vision was audacious: It was to build the greatest college for women west of the Allegheny Mountains. During the MacMurray-McClelland years enrollment more than doubled, the campus burgeoned with the construction of five major buildings, gross annual income tripled, total assets climbed five-fold, the number and quality of the faculty improved, and the college's reputation as one of the finest women's schools in the country was established.
Print
Previous Issue May-June 2015 - Chicago neighborhoods
Next Issue November - December 2015

Please login or register to post comments.

Illinois State Historical Society
Strawbridge-Shepherd House
5255 Shepherd Road
Springfield, IL 62703
Office Phone: 217-525-2781
Office Fax: 217-525-2783
Email Us
Membership Signup Phone: 1-866-244-0626
Terms Of UsePrivacy StatementCopyright 2017 by Illinois State Historical Society
Back To Top