Event date: 10/1/2019 7:00 PM - 10/3/2019 5:00 PM Export event
2019 ISHS Illinois Ozark Fall Tour
Pack your bags and backpacks!
Southern Illinois is nature’s wonderland and in the fall it is magical! Join us as we explore the southeasternmost corner of the state for our fall tour, October 1-3, led by a team of historians and archaeologists. You won’t want to miss this adventure in “Egypt,” where we’ll explore the Shawnee National Forest, historic and prehistoric landmarks, the Garden of Gods, and sites associated with early industry, the Civil War, and the Underground Railroad. We’ll also be lodging at the San Damiano Retreat Center, a beautiful hideaway on the cliffs above the Ohio River. This ISHS Fall Tour is the one you’ve been waiting for!
Tuesday, October 1: 7:00 p.m.
- Reception at San Damiano
Presentation on the 1930s-’40s Trigg Ozark Tours, the Birth of the Shawnee National Forest, and Indian Rock Art of Southern Illinois, with archaeologists Mary McCorvie, Dr. Mark Wagner, and ISHS director Todd Carr
Wednesday, October 2nd
- Tour Garden of the Gods
- View Great Salt Springs
- Visit Gallatin County Courthouse
- Tour Bank of Illinois and drive by John Marshall House
- Lunch at Pounds Hollow
- Tour Prehistoric Stone Wall at Rim Rock
- Tour Knights of the Golden Circle Arch
- Tour Illinois Iron Furnace
- Tour Fluorspar Museum
- Dinner on the Rose Hotel Lawn catered by Etown River Restaurant
Thursday, October 3rd
- Tour Millstone Bluff – Mississippian Village site, Rock Art, Stone Grave, Prehistoric Stone Wall
- Tour Sand Cave – Interpreter in Period Costume tells of Underground Railroad connection and Miller’s Grove Interpretation
- Visit Chocolate Factory (Trail of Tears interpretation)
Tour begins at San Damiano near Shetlerville (participants arrange their own travel). All other tour travel from San Damiano by luxury motorcoach. Wednesday and Thursday meals included in package. Lodging booked separately through ISHS (rates depend on room preference—single, double, deluxe suite, etc.)
Members: $250 per person, plus lodging
Non-Members: $310 per person, plus lodging
For cabin prices and to register, please use this form.
San Damiano Retreat Center
31 San Damiano Rd
Golconda, IL 62938 (Map)