Mount Morris College
The marker is located in Mount Morris, on the town square (former Mount Morris College grounds), about 20 yards west of South Wesley Avenue, and faces northeast at an angle.
Ogle County Historical Society and The Illinois State Historical Society
Rock River Seminary, the first institution of higher education in Northern Illinois, was established by the Methodist Church in 1839. Because of financial difficulties it was forced to close in 1879. The Church of the Brethren then purchased the campus and established Mount Morris Seminary and Collegiate Institute. In 1884 the name was changed to Mount Morris College. This building, "Old Sandstone," was reconstructed in 1912, after the original "Old Sandstone," built in the 1850's, was partially destroyed by fire. Mount Morris College closed in 1932.
Print marker information