Image Courtesy of Karen Kruse
The marker is located in Rock Island on the grounds of the U.S. Army Rock Island Arsenal on Arsenal Island.
Rock Island County Historical Society and The Illinois State Historical Society
Fort Armstrong was built in 1816-1817. Its riverside was protected by limestone bluffs and its other sides were formed in part by the rear walls of barracks and storehouses. Blockhouses, like the replica, stood at three corners. The pyramid of cannon balls to the southwest marks the site of the northeastern blockhouse. The fort was garrisoned by United States troops until May 4, 1836. It served as headquarters for the Sauk and Fox Indian Agent from 1836 to 1838 and as a military depot from 1840 to 1845. It was destroyed by fire in 1855.
Print marker information