Division & South Second, Rockford
No coordinates identified
Rockford College and The Illinois State Historical Society
This plot of land is the original site of Rockford College, chartered in 1847 as Rockford Female Seminary. Students were enrolled in 1851. Bachelor's degrees were first conferred in 1882. One of five recipients that year was Jane Addams, who was to gain fame as a social reformer. Ten years later the school's present name was adopted. When the college became coeducational in 1955, it began an expansion program that led to relocation on the new campus in 1964.
Print marker information