Images Courtesy of Ed Emmons
The marker is located on a promontory overlooking the Illinois River Valley approximately 175 feet beyond the cul-de-sac at the end of Park Road in Creve Coeur
The Illinois State Historical Society
The stone marker has two inscriptions.
On the northwest face:
[Royal Arms of France]
In 1680 upon this spot stood Fort Crevecoeur, built from the plans of Robert-Cavelier Sieur de La Salle. Here was centered the hope of Louis XIV for a broader empire of the French on American soil. From here, in 1680 went forth La Salle on his heroic march of fifteen hundred miles to Fort Frontenac and in 1682, also from here, to the great task of exploration of the Mississippi River.
On the southeast face:
[Illinois State Seal]
Hereby let the valor of La Salle, 1643 - 1687 stand recorded by the Illinois State Historical Society, 1920.
Print marker information